Recommendations For National Poetry Month

Keep Poetry In Your Life

Introduce young children to poetry. They'll be swept away by the words and imagery. Set them on a path to unimaginable possibilities. Visit your local library, and share something special with your child.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Confessions of a Tutor: It's Bigger Than You Think

 I read an article in Huffington Post about a school board in Erie, IL, that banned a decade-old book, The Family Book by Todd Parr, because of a single sentence:


Some families have two moms or two dads.


I'd never heard of the book nor the author until I read the article. I was curious. For one thing, I find the practice of banning books distasteful, and I wanted to read the book for myself and see what all the fuss is about. 

If I had come across this book when my niece was small, I definitely would've shared it with her. The Family Book reminds me of that segment on Sesame Street,"...Who are the people in your neighborhood?" The book is sweet and simple. It talks about all the different types of families that exist, and they all share that commonality of unconditional love. Apparently, prior to being banned, the book was part of the school's diversity and tolerance curriculum. Teachers bemoaned its loss because it was a perfect resource for their young students. How the board determined that a handful of angry parents were right that the book was not age appropriate, strikes me as odd. This book was written for really young children. The sentences are easy and the illustrations are boldly colored. The American Psychological Association has published studies showing books like this are helpful tools when teaching young children to be civil and respectful of people who are different. Exposing children to a world beyond their own backyard is a crucial way of neutralizing bullying before it cements into their development.

I cannot fathom where all the madness comes from. I hate to sound like Spock, but all this hand-wringing and hyperbolic clucking defy logic. I doubt the school board considered matters as deftly as they should have. A public school serves kids of many different backgrounds, so did they even think that that book spoke to a particular child, whose family may not be traditional, but is nonetheless full of love and support? Did they even consider that The Family Book affirms that child's sense of being, of goodness? Did they consult educators or child psychologists, or did they just crumble to the unfounded fears of some parents? The idea that the book is over young children's heads, is ludicrous. It makes a profound point that young minds can grasp, and attests for those living in non-traditional circumstances that there's nothing wrong with them. That, in and of itself is a big deal. And I don't think the school board thought of this.

I hope the school board in Erie, IL, reconsiders, and allows the book back in schools. I hope more public libraries, and public schools carry it. I plan on donating several copies to First Book, since libraries around here already carry it. I encourage everyone: parents, educators, librarians, kids, etc., to read The Family Book for yourselves. Here some other books (below) that might interest you if you're looking for books to promote diversity and tolerance. Happy hunting.



As an added bonus, check out Todd Parr on YOUTUBE, where he explains the germination of The Family Book.


No comments:

Post a Comment